WHAT ARE YOU WEARING ?
Walking in love clothed, covered and adorned with Jesus
George Methodist church
Sunday 3rd November
8am COMMUNION and 10am BAPTISM
With Peter Veysie
Isaiah 61:10-11 New International Version (NIV)
I delight greatly in the Lord;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For He has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of His righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the soil makes the sprout come up
and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign Lord will make righteousness
and praise spring up before all nations.
As we come to the end of this study on Isaiah 61 I really trust that the Lord has shown you what it really means to be a disciple of Jesus. His mission is summed up in this scripture and declared by Him in Luke 4 to be fulfilled in Him on the day He opened the scroll and read it in the synagogue having gone through 40 days and nights of desert temptation and darkness as well as being rejected when he returned to Nazareth. Having read the scroll He sat down on the seat of Moses, a seat reserved for authority and teaching and Jesus declares that He is the One who fulfills this scripture.
We have seen that the Messiah clearly had a mandate and it is outlined clearly here not only for Him but also for us and I have gone through it in detail with you and I trust that you have not just heard it but that we will put it into practice.
As we conclude today that we are called by the Lord to do and be the following:
- What do you delight in ? What lights up your world – sunrise, rain, conversions on Wednesday night with At Boshoff, the smell of the forest in the morning etc… But most of all there is a delight in the One who creates all things that really keeps me going. We have a song which wakes us up now between 4 and 5 am and it’s the song of the Cape Robin. We have to turn our negativity around in taking great delight in the Lord. Psalm 34:7 Take delight in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Simple !!!!
- Let your soul rejoice in the Lord. I am so aware of my soul singing sometimes and my mouth singing at other times, but when my soul begins to rejoice in my Saviour something wonderful takes place because we can become consumed by an absolute adoration of who God is. “Then sings my soul my Saviour God to thee How Great Thou Art…”. I spoke about rebuilding, restoring and renewing the soul and it all begins in our attitude towards the Father. Kanye West married to Kim Kardashian and the transformation in his life – watch James Corden and Kanye West Airpool Karaoke. https://youtu.be/M2EkA7Oiyy0
- Clothed with garments of Salvation. We take so much care over what we wear each day and if you are anything like me, I have three boys who are watching my “threads” and commenting on whether I am still looking cool or not. It’s important to dress neatly and comfortably and ‘trendy’ but also appropriately but there is something else that we are reminded to be clothed with and that is garments of salvation. How do we do this? Colossians 3: 12-14 – compassion, kindness, humility and quiet strength… wear love – it is your basic all-purpose garment. (The Message) What are you wearing? We make so much of life about religious garments and yet when we get to heaven we will not be able to take any of them with us. I am concerned when we hide behind clerical garb rather than the garments of Salvation. We are clothed in Salvation. ‘I once was lost but now I am saved was blind but now I see.’ Isaiah reminds us to be clothed and we are reminded each day of who we are because of the Salvation that we have in Jesus Christ.
- Arrayed (Covered) in a robe of righteousness. To place in an orderly manner (arrayed). Edited and set out in the right order. This is truly what the Lord does for us because He takes our messy, confused and out-of-order lives and He brings them into His righteousness – a right relationship with Him. I am sure you have times when things just feel totally out of control and in chaos – this is normal by the way. It is important for us to come before the Lord and allow Him to give us a robe of righteousness which declares order.
- Adorned my head like a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest and like a bride adorned with jewels. Adorned means to “make beautiful”. It is the most wonderful transformation to see a bride at the rehearsal in the week and then on the day in her wedding gown. I have seen the grooms faces and they normally weep and so do I. It is a wonderful thing to make someone look beautiful and that as I said is what “to adorn” means. Zechariah 3:3 -7. How is it that your soul can rejoice? You can delight in the Lord because Jesus clothes you in garments of salvation and gives you a robe of righteousness. Clothes that weren’t yours naturally become yours as a gift from Christ. He has them to give because He wore them first. Jesus took your place with all your guilt and failures before the judgment of God. Jesus followed the plan of the Lord and won forgiveness for all your failings. He fixed them in His life and death. Wearing a perfect robe of righteousness which He achieved by living perfectly and dying sacrificially, He has this robe to give. He gives it to His bride, the church. You. You adorn yourself with Christ’s righteousness. You dress up in the best Christ Jesus gives you to wear. The garments of salvation are yours. Delight in them. WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?
- What Jesus has done means you won’t have to show up to the wedding wearing dirty sinful clothes. You’ll be able to arrive at the gates of heaven, for the wedding feast of the Lamb, wearing the best. Dressed and adorned like a bride or groom on their wedding day. All your sinful failings will be fixed in Christ, and you’ll be dressed in the best: the garments of salvation won for you by Christ.
- What do you delight in?
- Describe a moment when you realised it was not just your mouth singing but your soul singing?
- What does it mean to be clothed in the garments of salvation?
- How do you understand being arrayed (placed in an orderly manner) in robes of righteousness?
- How are we adorned by the Lord?
- What are you wearing?