George Methodist church
15th May 2016
Acts 2 : 1 – 13
THE PURPOSE OF PENTECOST
1. Pentecost – 50th day after the Sabbath of the Passover (Lev 23:15 – 16), Feast of Weeks (Dt 16:10), Feast of Harvest(Ex 23:16) and the day of First fruits (Numbers 28:26).Jews from every nation had come to Jerusalem to celebrate the harvests of first fruits. God chose that day for the birth of the church and initiated a worldwide harvest. This was all done in the name of Jesus, “who was raised from the dead, the first-fruits of those who had fallen asleep.”
1 Cor 15:20.
2. They were all together.
They were united and of one mind. John 17:20 -21 – Jesus prayed for this. KJV – In one accord. Despite their differences they became one. How we need to be reality in our world today. The church is so fragmented.
3. The birth of a vision. – stars being born.
-They saw tongues of fire – separated and came to rest on each of them. How does this relate to Romans 12: 1,2 – Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice. The dramatic shift of purpose. We need to offer ourselves for the sake of the kingdom of God.
– All of them were filled.
– They began to speak in other tongues.
Glossolalia – evangelical utterances.
4. A crowd witnessed this – the tongues were the languages of all the Jews gathered in Jerusalem. Let’s have a look at how the message of the gospel was instantly spread to every corner of the earth.
14 different languages and 5 major areas -Africa, Asia, Media, Rome and Crete – the entire known world.
5. They were declaring the wonders of God.
6. Expect reaction – they were amazed and perplexed.
– they had just had too much wine.
7. Watch out for the flakey stuff. E.g. TB Joshua.
1.Can you see Jesus clearly ?
2. How much emotional hype is there?
3. Who is getting the glory?
4. Is it a show?
5. How is the person afterwards ?
6. Be discerning!!!