Cultivating a Generous Spirit
With Peter Veysie
2 Corinthians 9:10 -15
George Methodist Church
Sunday 11th October
8am and 10am
2 Corinthians 9:10-15
“Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God. This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
- God is the great supplier of seed and the harvest of your righteousness.
At the outset today we need to acknowledge the generosity of God’s Spirit in providing us with everything we have. We are supplied with all we need for life and the greatest gift that the Lord gives us is breathe and that breathe is eternal.
2. We are enriched by you Holy Spirit so that we can be generous on every occasion – not just financial – attitude,words,actions,and deep understanding of others and their needs.
3. Generosity always results in thanksgiving to God – overflowing in expressions of thanks to God.This is so powerful and highlights the Holy Spirit at work in us.
4. Fruit and gifts are critical to understand within the context of generosity. When we begin to ask the Lord to impart into our hearts the fruits of love joy peace patience kindness humlity and self control, then we are ready for the gifts of the Holy Spirit which he gives to us for the building up of the body – the church.
21 Gifts of the Spirit. Nine of these gifts are mentioned in I Corinthians 12 and are known as the “Power Gifts” because they give power to the Church and to the believers. But there are a number of extra gifts designed to edify the Church, to build it up and to strengthen it, add to the vitality of the Church. Some of these Gifts are being ignored but are legitimate Gifts. All of them are manifestations of the activity and of the work and person of the Holy Spirit in a tangible form – it is a revelation of His character.
“The word “gift” would be translated in Greek by “charisma”, which gives the idea of spiritual grace, spiritual endowment of power with the intent of revelation of God’s essence and power. Believers have different gifts – 9 of these gifts are called the Power gifts (I Corinthians 12) intended to display the Glory, the Power, the Awe, the Wonder and the Magnificence of the Lord. He does miraculous things beyond our understanding. The rest of the gifts are designed for the edification of the Church.
The 21 gifts of the Holy Spirit are:
1. Witnessing Power, Acts 1:8
2. Mutual Encouragement, Romans 1:11-12
3. Prophesying, Romans 12:6, I Corinthians 12:10
4. Serving, Romans 12:7
5. Teaching, Romans 12:7
6. Encouraging, Romans 12:8
7. Contributing, Romans 12:8
8. Leadership, Romans 12:8
9. Showing Mercy, Romans 12:8
10. Spirit of Unity, Romans 15:5
11. Wisdom, I Corinthians 12:8
12. Knowledge, I Corinthians 12:8
13. Faith, I Corinthians 12:9
14. Healing, I Corinthians 12:9
15. Miraculous Powers, I Corinthians 12:10
16. Discernment, I Corinthians 12:10
17. Tongues, I Corinthians 12:10
18. Interpretation, I Corinthians 12:10
19. Administration, I Corinthians 12:28
20. Revelation, Ephesians 1:17
21. Joy, I Thessalonians 1:6
5. Because of your service by which you have proved yourselves others will praise God – witness and testimony ? A generous spirit witnesses to God and the Holy Spirit in us. Not just talk but action. So many have come to know the Lord out of the deep love of a person with a generous Spirit. Don’t underestimate the value of this.Service to the Lord is how we prove ourselves and can I say improve ourselves. It’s not the kind that is showy but rather humbly and behind the scenes. The extra little thing that you do in a day that makes God smile !!!
Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.
6. People will start to give thanks for the Holy Spirit in you and your generosity will be infectious in the nicest of ways !!! And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you.
7. Generosity is an indescribable gift !!!
Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!
I am not adding a gift here because it is part of the gifts of the Holy Spirit and it holds them all together and reminds us not to be a clanging gong !!!!!
May the Lord continue to use you in such a powerful way as you serve Him with a Generous Spirit :
Understanding and Kind
Compassionate and Helpful
Gracious and Patient
Generous and Unrelenting
‘Generosity of spirit embraces differences with acceptance. People who are generous of spirit are genuinely happy for others good fortune irrespective of their own circumstances. They are devoid of envy, seldom have disparaging thoughts about others and never make disparaging comments’.