Where it all started :
George Methodist Church (GMC) started in 1976 in the house if Sarie and George Gerber. The first service was held on the 8th February 1796 in the house of the Gerber’s’, 5 Barry Road- Heatherlands, and they had 36 people attending, including children. They started with one service a month with tea afterwards to get to know each other. Maureen Edgar played piano and Dawn Victor led the singing. The Mossel Bay minister at the time preached together with other church ministers in the area.
1977 the first Women’s World day of prayer was started. By this time the church had out grown 5 Barry road and had to raise money to move to a new premises. The first mini bazaar was joyfully planned to raise funds and it raised a total of R315.62. This money the church used to opened a bank account for a building fund.
The first wedding was held by GMC in August 1977 and the first confirmation was in November 1977.
In April 1978 they started using the 7th Day Aventis Church building in Market street for Sundays service. The property in Plantation road was for sale and they bought it for sum of R8 000.
In 1979 the church was opened ( the church hall as we know it these days ) by Rev Sydney Jones.
OUR 40 YEARS STORY IN A NUTSHELL…
AWESOME PODCAST WITH THE WHOLE STORY…